libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Emulation and spoofin of USB devices

From: Jason Hecker <jwhecker@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:02:34 +1000
> Probably not. For one thing it is basically not possible to fake
> another VID/PID by cheating the host OS usb stack, either
> under Linux or Windows.

It might be but I suspect it would involve much messing about with
kernel privileged modules and drivers and prone to severe system
failures.

> On the other hand, FTDI is one of the best USB serial chipsets (if not
> the best) you can get now. Why do you want to do this?

Oh I was just thinking it'd be nice to use a H series FTDI part in
conjunction with a software translation layer to emulate an SPI or
JTAG debugger board for which the VID and PID is hard wired into the
IDE/debugger binary.