libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Emulation and spoofin of USB devices

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:46:17 +0800
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Jason Hecker <jwhecker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have in mind to use the FTDI parts to emulate another device.  Is it
> possible to use libusb and libftdi in such a way that I write some
> sort of USB device in software that comes up as a USB device, captures
> USB traffic generated by an application and translates the traffic
> contents suitable for the FTDI device?  For example, emulating the
> VID:PID of a non FTDI serial device, spoofing it and acting as a
> conversion layer between the spoofed device and the FTDI device?

Probably not. For one thing it is basically not possible to fake
another VID/PID by cheating the host OS usb stack, either
under Linux or Windows.

On the other hand, FTDI is one of the best USB serial chipsets (if not
the best) you can get now. Why do you want to do this?

If you want to emulate other USB serial device, probably you
need a generic USB MCU and write the firmware to do that.
However, the license of the USB driver may prevent you
from doing that, at least under Windows. For example,
FTDI's Windows driver is licensed to be used with FTDI
device only.

--
Xiaofan