libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Control bit-shift LED-Driver with FT4232H

From: Michael Markstaller <mm@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 00:31:30 +0200
Thanks for you reply!

Am Donnerstag, den 12.05.2011, 07:07 +0200 schrieb Berni Joss:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Have you looked at the commands described in section 6 of Application Note
> AN_108 "Command Processor for MPSSE and MCU Host Bus Emulation Modes" ?
Well yes, but i' didnt get that together yet. Admittely, I'm also not
what one would call an "experienced C-programmer".. But my
target-platform is small, it should be nice to resources and I guess
this is the right thing here..

0x94/95 looks like what I need!
But I'm missing the right path somehow:
ftdi_set_bitmode(..,..,BITMODE_MPSSE);
Either I'm missing how MPSSE commands to be done after that or.. Will
get hands on that this weekend again..

> For more help you may consider describing you design in more details :-)
No problem, it's no secret ;) (i'd even be happy to provide an example
once it works)

Having some LED's with internal/external bitshift-controller/driver
(interface is pretty similar for all of them like LPD6803, differences
(rising/falling edge) is rather fine-tuning then)
Example:
http://www.kirronlightcomponents.com/index.php/download_file/view/41/83/
(Page 7)
Another example: http://www.bliptronics.com/ (protocol-side is the same)
So basically if I got things right, Clock&Data is needed, sounds pretty
easy :)

My inital question was mainly targeted on:
a) am I right to start with libftdi (or might D2xx be better, but I
definitely prefer OSS)
b) might it work at all (I guess yes)
c) is there anything similar out there already to help my limited
programming-skills ;)

Michael

P.S.: Background is to avoid DMX for these or baking uC's for that
purpose, RGB-LED's are still an expensive hobby.. Not to talk about one
where every single pixel can be controlled..