libftdi Archives

Subject: Control bit-shift LED-Driver with FT4232H

From: Michael Markstaller <mm@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 20:53:18 +0200
Hi,

first, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, then please just ignore.

I'd want to interface some RGB-LED or better the included drivers
(similar to LPD-6803) using a FT4232H and libftdi for sure.

They have just two lines:
- clock (0-15MHz)
- data (32bits start-frame all zero, then 16 bit "1" + 3x5 bits for
RGB-values)
- clock must be present all the time, as it's used internally in the
driver for PWM.

The idea is, the FT4232H supplies the clock independant (SPI-mode?) and
the data-bytes are written out when needed.
Is this fully nonsense or could it work?

Also, I'm a bit stuck on where/how to start, any hint/example of similar
usage would be nice.

best regards

Michael