libftdi Archives

Subject: FT2232H sync fifo mode

From: Thomas Heller <theller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:51:38 +0100
Good morning.

(Half-offtopic question, since I don't use libftdi *yet*,
but I guess I will find the most FTDI knowledge in this
list.)

Short background info: I have to develop a circuit that
communicates with a Windows PC via USB.  Datarates are fairly
high so I plan to use the FT2232H chip in sync fifo mode.

First tests have shown that it is possible to achive maximum
data rates of around 30MB/s writing (to device) and 40MB/s reading
(from device).

Now, that problem is that I observe data loss when reading
from the FTDI chip.  For testing I designed a simple loopback
circuit into the FPGA that the FT2232H is connected to.  The FPGA
reads data from the FT2232H and writes it back a few cycles later.
Reading the data into the PC (via calls to the ftd2xx.dll) I see
that sometimes single bytes are missing.

I connected a scope and a counter to the WRn and RDn lines of the
chip, timing relations are ok, and I see that the correct number
of read and write pulses are counted.  However, the number of bytes
that I am able to read is less than the number of pulses.

FTDI has published errata for the FT2232H chip; the 'A' silicon
version according to this note had a problem:

<quote>This appears as though the data read from the FIFO has missed a byte.
This issue is corrected at silicon revision B.
</quote>

I use the FTDI minimodule, and the chip has silicon version B.

Now the questions:

Is it known that the FT2232H sync fifo mode still has this problem?
Could it be a driver (ftd2xx.dll) problem?  Can it be that libftdi
works better?

Any tips?

Thanks,