libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: libftdi eeprom-new git branch MinGW 32bit snapshots for testing only

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 07:59:38 +0800
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Uwe Bonnes
<bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    Xiaofan> I wrote before.
>    >> To be able to run this, you have to switch the stock FTDI driver to
>    >> WinUSB driver. You can easily do that with Zadig form libwdi.
>    >> http://www.libusb.org/wiki/windows_backend
>
> After installing WinUSB via libwdi for the FT232R and FT2232H parts, I am
> able to run examples/eeprom on these devices. However Win32 no longer
> provides the VCP interface, so that the final purpose of the programmed
> devices, to display information via Hyterterminal or such, is not available.

That is true. When you use WinUSB to repalce FTDI driver, the VCP
function will be gone. Same for libusb-win32 in device driver mode.
The only option which keeps the VCP function is to use
libusb-win32 filter driver.

> Is there any time frame for the filter driver?
Supposedly Peter Stuge (the new co maintainer of libusb-1.0) would
like to have the libusb0.sys code integrated in the next release
(libusb-1.0 version 1.09). But I do not know the time frame. The code
is there (from Graeme) but it is not integrated yet and need more
testing. I hope it will be done within this year.

--
Xiaofan