libftdi Archives

Subject: Use of ftdi-sio and libftdi on different interfaces of the same instance of FT4232 (and similar)

From: Ales Teska <ales.teska@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:52:04 +0200
Hi,

I'm working on a project that make use of FT4232 chip. The design says that
some of the FT4242 ports will be connected to things like GSM modem and GPS
devices and some will be using MPSSE for bit banging purposes. Whole thing is
running on the Linux with quite decent Linux kernel (2.6.34).

Now problem is that obviously it is not possible today to configure ftdi-sio a
libftdi to share same USB device. Right?
I assume that if ftdi-sio 'locks' USB device, then it is not possible to speak
with that thru libusb/libftdi.

We will probably lucky enough with our project as we have 2 FT4232 chips and we
can reshuffle design to move read RS232 connections to one chip and other use
for bit banging. But is the a way or a plan to change this? It is possible to
split device use this way on Windows and with vendor D2XX library (on Linux
they have the same issue).

Thank you,
Ales Teska