libftdi Archives

Subject: RE: problem with libftdi read zero bytes

From: "Michael Plante" <michael.plante@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:07:33 -0500
jose david hernandez mendia wrote:
>> Hi Michael, thanks for reply
>> In Ubuntu I am using version 0.18 and no problem found, all is working
ok,
>> but the problem is with Gentoo, and there the version 0.16 was installed
and
>> I am trying with that one, do you sugest to install the 0.18 version?, it
is not marked as stable yet

Well, it depends on whether you want to ask favors of your admin.  If you
just want to do it yourself, I'd suggest cloning the latest git and doing a
local install (use the --prefix option in ./configure).

If you can ask your admin, though, he can certainly unmask 0.18 or 9999
(9999 grabs the latest git).  It sounds like he is not keeping up, though,
as 0.16 isn't even in the portage tree anymore:

http://www.gentoo-portage.com/dev-embedded/libftdi

Ask him to do a

$ equery d libftdi

If it lists no packages as depending on libftdi, then nothing else on your
system will break if something's wrong with 0.18.  If it does list
dependencies, though, and stability is a concern, then just do a local
install.

Michael