libftdi Archives

Subject: how to achieve continuous transfers with ft2232h and libftdi

From: Steffen Mauch <steffen.mauch@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:51:17 +0100
Hi,

I use the FT2232H with MPSSE for SPI transfer.
Connected to the SPI bus is a Analog Digital converter which also has an SPI interface.

The ADC is able to transfer 125000 * 3 Bytes per channel. It has 8 channels. The FT2232H could transfer up to 30 Mbit and there shouldn't be any problems with the bandwidth.

I am not so familiar with the usb protocol :-/ so what is the best way to achieve a continuous reading. I mean, if I read 4096 bytes for example then I want to read another 4096 bytes just after recieving the "old" 4096 bytes.
If there is not much space between this action, I could read everything.
I know that this could only work, if nothing else is connected to this usb host, because otherwise some other peripherial could be active. Then I have to wait and I don't have a continuous measurement.

My idea was to set with ftdi_set_latency_timer(&ftdic, xxx) the latency to for example 2ms and calculate with the clock of spi how much I should read in 2ms.

Is this possible or won't it work?
Or is there another (maybe better) possibility how to achieve my goal?

Thanks.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Steffen Mauch

-------------------------
cand. B.Sc. Steffen Mauch

Digital Communications & Signal Processing Lab
Fakultät Computer & Electrical Engineering

Hochschule Furtwangen University
Robert-Gerwig-Platz 1
78120 Furtwangen

Tel    +49 (0)7723 920 2342