libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: ftdi_eeprom_build function produces faulty EEPROM image

From: David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Gerd v. Egidy" <gerd.von.egidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Piotr Pawluczuk <piotrek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:54:39 -0800
On Thursday 28 January 2010, Gerd v. Egidy wrote:
> According to FTDIchip their drivers have passed those Windows driver quality
> test by Microsoft. Don't know what they check there, but probably not
> enough...

BSODs from USB are not necessarily caused by third party drivers.

Back when I spent time making Linux-USB peripherals work with MS-Windows,
I certainly saw more than enough of them caused by the MS-Windows USB
stack misbehaving.   Someone sent me a list of a couple dozen strange
failures with pure MSFT code (in their USB/RNDIS/NET stack) ... most of
them were things I had seen, and many of them caused BSODs.  So that
experience wasn't mine alone.

The ones which caused real head scratching were on the order of seeing
network packets seem to vanish into thin air ... then reappear minutes
later, *ON THE WRONG CONNECTION OR NETWORK INTERFACE* to wreak havoc.
Sometimes culminating in BSOD.

This was with USB packets which conformed 100% to their documentation
(stick USB sniffer on the link, double check data against MSFT specs)
and processed by 100% MSFT code.

Just pointing out that WHQL may be irrelevant to the problems here.

- Dave