libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: ftdi_eeprom_build function produces faulty EEPROM image

From: "Gerd v. Egidy" <gerd.von.egidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Piotr Pawluczuk <piotrek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:28:03 +0100
Hi Piotr,

> > so you are the guy who developed the Bus Pirate renaming tool, right?
> > Did you
> > publish the source somewhere? I did a short look but couldn't find it.
>
> I was holding with source code release until I got some feedback. I
> wanted to release it bug-free if possible. I have attached it with this
> message.

Thanks. Seems like you are already using the libusb-1.0 version done by Jie.
Wow. Is there some special reason behind or did you just want to try it out?

Don't know about package management on Mac because I have never used any. But
wouldn't it be more easy to create a package for libftdi instead of copying
the source into every project?

> Since I can easily recover with a Linux box I will test which bytes
> generated by libftdi are the cause of the problem. I will work on it
> over the weekend.

cool. Looking forward to your findings.

> >> It then produces kernel panic on Mac and BSOD under Windows.
> >
> It's the kernel extension from FTDI causing the kernel panic on a Mac,
> and I think I was able to resolve the BSOD problems with the latest FTDI
> drivers, but it might still be there as I think I now only have the D2XX
> drivers.

According to FTDIchip their drivers have passed those Windows driver quality
test by Microsoft. Don't know what they check there, but probably not
enough...

> I have a few different FTDI chips around, I will make EEPROM dumps and
> compare what's inside. Maybe I will be able to find some useful
> information.

Very good.Maybe we can add this info on our webpage or put it into the
Doxygen.

Kind regards,

Gerd