libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: MPSSE examples?

From: Harald Kubota <hkubota@xxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:39:53 +0900
Michael Plante wrote:
Are you saying you're interested in bit-bang mode, or you're interested in
everything OTHER THAN bit-bang mode?

big-bang-mode works. It does not work perfectly (notably sending one byte to it does not set the outputs, but sending 256 bytes does, which J.C. Wren already mentioned a month ago.

MPSSE is what I am interested in.

Conversion should not be difficult, and FTDI recently opened the source to
their FTCSPI.DLL (don't recall what the license is, but I had already
finished my code by the time they released it anyway, so I did not benefit).

Ah, did not know FTDI has source code available. I only found libftd2xx0.4.16.tar.gz
for Linux which contains some *.o files, but no source code.

But I'll browse their web pages again.

Related question: if you already worked on the SPI code without FTDI's FFTCSPI.DLL,
where did you get the information how to program the MPSSE from?

You'll need "ftdi_set_bitmode(pFtdiC, 0, BITMODE_MPSSE)", and you should use
the invalid command stuff to synchronize with the "command processor".
Beyond that, it's the same.  I recommend you write an abstraction layer that
sends/receives MPSSE commands per AN108, since, among other reasons, it is
easy to forget to send nBytes-1 at the start when you start to do
complicated stuff.

AN108 is not exactly easy to understand. I read it and I wonders if that's
enough or if there is more available.

Do you have a specific question?  MPSSE does seem to be one of the most
complicated modes of operation of that chip...

I know and that's what I miss: examples for libftdi which make it easier to start.

Maybe I should mention that I am running on non-i386 hardware, thus any
binary-only drivers from FTDI for Linux are unusable for me.

Harald