libftdi Archives

Subject: RE: MPSSE examples?

From: "Michael Plante" <michael.plante@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 10:58:49 -0500
Harald,

>> beside bit-bang-mode

Are you saying you're interested in bit-bang mode, or you're interested in
everything OTHER THAN bit-bang mode?

>> examples from FTDI

Conversion should not be difficult, and FTDI recently opened the source to
their FTCSPI.DLL (don't recall what the license is, but I had already
finished my code by the time they released it anyway, so I did not benefit).
You'll need "ftdi_set_bitmode(pFtdiC, 0, BITMODE_MPSSE)", and you should use
the invalid command stuff to synchronize with the "command processor".
Beyond that, it's the same.  I recommend you write an abstraction layer that
sends/receives MPSSE commands per AN108, since, among other reasons, it is
easy to forget to send nBytes-1 at the start when you start to do
complicated stuff.

>> Are they hidden well or is using MPSSE using libftdi something not well
>> supported?

I don't know that lack of examples (if true) implies lack of good support.
I run SPI plus a few bit-bang lines, and it's very effective.  I set the
divisor to 2 (-> 3 MHz) and the latency timer to 3ms, yielding a tolerably
high success rate, but that's pushing it ever so slightly if you don't have
a way to recover from lack of synchronization (see above), which occurs
probably once every 10-20 seconds, on average, on a mostly-idle bus.  I'd
obviously start out slower.

Do you have a specific question?  MPSSE does seem to be one of the most
complicated modes of operation of that chip...

Michael