libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: About FT2232

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:22:58 +0800
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Michael Plante<michael.plante@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> We have no experience using it under windows.
>
> I can't speak for the "H" part, but the "FT2232D" part works just fine under
> Win32 with MSVC.  I also built the same libftdi source for Linux with gcc.
> I use direct/UART mode ("direct" meaning *not* VCP), as well as MPSSE/SPI
> mode.  My team will likely move to the "H" part in a few months, so I'll
> know more then.  One caveat is that Device Manager likes to give the device
> to d2xx, and it takes some coaxing to make it take libusb-win32 (I sometimes
> have to "update driver" a second time after the first unplug/replug...but
> not always).

According to the reports from OpenOCD 0.2.0 mailing list, libftdi
works fine under Windows. In fact the GPL license prevented new
binaries based on FTD2xx from being publicly distributed, so one can
only distribute libftdi based OpenOCD binary. Not so sure about
the "H" part, but it might work as well.

The performance of libftdi under Winodws still lags behind ftd2xx
even though the performance of libftdi under Linux (with async
mode) matches the performance of ftd2xx.
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/openocd-development/2009-June/008193.html
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/openocd-development/2009-June/008846.html

libusb-win32 actually supports async mode, so does libusb-1.0.
Right now the async mode of libftdi seems to directly manipulate
sysfs and it is only for Linux.

--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com