libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Python Bindings

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: tarek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 21:31:37 +0200
Hi James,

James Snyder wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone is using the python bindings yet?

The python bindings are pretty new, so I guess you were the first
one to try them besides the original author.

> I've attempted to play around with them and found that at least with the
> SWIG I've got I had to rearrange a few things to get them to compile
> properly.  There are also some macros provided by cstring.i that make
> using at least the read function a lot more python-like.

Which version of SWIG are you using?

Feel free to send a patch for the cstring.i stuff, though I can't really
review it myself as I hardly speak python. Maybe I can bug Tarek to join
the list as our current email policy discards posts from non-members.

> Also, It seems like many of these functions are ripe to become methods
> for a class that deals with the context struct.  I'm not sure of the
> best way to do this since I'm not a SWIG expert.

I didn't even know about SWIG before the patch was sent :-)