libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: How to use libftdi ftdi_set_bitmode function bitmask ?

From: Nicolas <nmassart+intra2net@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 22:31:24 +0200
Hi Thomas,

I'm not sure I understood your question correctly, don't hesitate to ask again in another way it's the case...

I used CBUS because I needed a simple switching system to control a 5v USB powered power ramp (french link : http://www.pearl.fr/cables/cables-electriques/multiprises/multiprise-usb-maitre-esclave_PE9938.html) in order to power an external USB drive on or off at will.
The PC on wich it's connected it have it's USB plugs power always on and so a bus powered USB drive would be always on. My external usb drive had to be on only for backup duration and was not bus powered but self powered. A nice geek problem :)
My father used this MM232R module for another use, only to translate serial comm to usb as there are fewer serial ports  on PCs and he needed a product he created to work without modifying all the existing hardware.
While discussing my problem with him, he show me the module and we looked at the spec and noticed that there were 4 simple pins, easy to use out of the box, that could deliver enough power to be used with a transistor and output 5v and 75mA power to be used with my usb controled power ramp. He gave me one of his modules.
The only thing I had to do was a small circuit plate with 6 components and the module.
For my first try, I only connected one pin of the module, pin 12, wich is PWREN# by default.So, even if I never succeded in creating my program, the power would have been switched on USB sleep mode wich is well triggered on my PC. That was the first thing I tried and it well worked. When powering the PC on the led and so 5v were on and when switching PC off everything became off too.
But I wanted to set my power ramp on or off at will. So I modified the EEPROM of the FT232 chip on the module for the pin I used to be controled on CBUS instead of automatic PWREN#. This needed me to use FTDI EEPROM modification program MPROG that only runs under windows... arg... Now that all works, I'll try to find another way to modify EEPROM simply under linux.
So as I was now able to control the pin level using CBUS, I used libftdi to make a small C program to switch my power ramp on or off. The power ramp is off by default and when the pin 12 level is set to low, it comes on. Magic of lasyness...
next step is to connect all the 4 pins to control 220v relays and so switch on or off 4 power plugs :) And of course a nice box for all this stuff that actualy fit into an ugly plastic and tape box...

So, it was on pupose and because of the out of the box CBUS fonctions. But all is due to the fact that I had the module available.

Sorry for the long story, but you now have all details :)

Shears,
Nicolas.