libftdi Archives

Subject: Release 0.15 and the ft2232 data loss.

From: "David Challis" <dchallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:45:27 -0700

We use the FT2232H to transfer large amounts of data (megabytes) between a camera and a Linux host (Fedora 10).  We’ve used release libftdi 0.12 with the ft245BL without problems.  We recently upgraded tolibftdi  0.15 and started using the high speed mode of the FT2232H.  While reading on the host pc data coming from the ft2232H, we find the we lose some of the data.  It looks like a data overrun or dropped data.

We saw a similar problem with the ftdi supplied D2XX windows drivers.  It turns out that with the windows drivers, we have to turn on rts/cts flow control to stop the inbound overrun (even though we are running the parallel interface ft245, where there are no rts/cts lines on the device side(!)).  The FT2232H works fine with windows with this setting.

We’ve tried using that trick with libftdi to no avail.  Is there some sort of setting or protocol to properly throttle the ft2232H inbound when the host can’t keep up?  Has anyone else experienced inbound data loss with libftdi and the ft2232?  Any ideas on where to look next? Could this be an issue with libusb?

Thanks,

Dave Challis