libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Feature Request: Identify LibFTDI Device Strings

From: Karl Semich <0xloem@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 0xloem <0xloem@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 15:49:47 -0400

> It would be great if this check returning -12 were simply moved after
> the basic string validation, so the -11 return value could be used
> even without an ftdi context.  This could probably be done robustly by
> handing off the port opening to the other functions that don't take
> strings, after the string has been parsed.
>
> It would alternatively be great if the string validation code were
> moved into a new public function like ftdi_valid_usb_string(const char
> *), so that what the user is accomplishing can be detected without
> setting up all the infrastructure.

I've looked at ftdi_usb_open_string() and I think swapping the handling
of the -12 <-> -11 error checks is just half the job.
All other string validations might need the ftdi context pointer.

I would be ok with having a new "ftdi_valid_usb_string(const char *)"
function and we could also call it from ftdi_usb_open_string(),
it's not a performance critical path and people don't have thousands
of FTDI devices attached to one computer ;)

Do you want to cook something up?

Thanks so much for your reply.  I didn't know whether this project was still active.

I ended up finding another solution, but if I get back into that work at some point maybe I can look into making a patch.