libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Add supported chip

From: za3k@xxxxxxxx
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 13:32:38 -0700
On 2020-08-24 10:18, Thomas Jarosch wrote:
Hi,

You wrote on Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 03:41:00PM -0700:
On https://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/libftdi/index.php, I would suggest adding the "RT232RL" chip to the supported list. This is just a particular form factor of the "RT232R" chip, but it seems worth adding to the list
since that's not obvious without reading spec sheets.

I tried it as "FT232R(L/Q) / FT245R(L/Q)", but I think it adds
too much detail for the quick overview page.

libftdi sticks to the official product names from FTDI:
https://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm

It makes sense for FTDI documentation to use official product names, because FTDI's documentation is targeting people purchasing FTDI chips. However 3rd-party vendors do not mention the official FTDI product name (I purchased a couple chinese 3rd-party breakout boards off ebay/amazon). The thing I forgot the mention the first time, is that "FT232RL" is what is actually printed on the physical chip from FTDI, and why it would be a natural thing to look up.

Whether you decide to add extra information or not, this is the last you'll hear from me :)

Personally, I would advocate listing all supported product and chip names, listing them in full: "FT232R / FR232R / FT2323RQ". Simple trumps short in readability. Full names also help with text/web searches. I have seen this format used by Linux printer drivers listing supported hardware, and I found it useful there. It is longer but I think it makes sense that a list of supported hardware is the most important thing I would want when choosing a hardware library.