libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: How do I discover port names (/dev/cu.usb… or COM…) from devices

From: Robert Poor <rdpoor@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 02:14:22 -0800
@Uwe:

I confess I was slightly confused in my original note.  It turns out that libftdi isn't causing any trouble: I can reliably wiggle the CBUS pins under program control.

However, other parts of our system depend upon using the FTDI part in serial mode.

My real problem is that I haven't found a reliable way to load a backend driver (e.g. libusb-win32) for use by PySerial.  The manifestation is that I can create a "filter" for the FTDI that makes it known to Windows, but on occasion (and I can't tell what that occasion is) it forgets about the device and I have to re-run the filter installer.

So...truly this issue doesn't belong in the libftdi.  However, perhaps someone on this list has had some experience with the problem I describe.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 2:01 AM, Uwe Bonnes <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

    Robert> I'm using ftdi_usb_find_all() (via pylibftdi's
    Robert> Device.list_devices()) to get the list of serial numbers -- that
    Robert> works.  But I need to know the port names for each device.

Hallo Robert,

it is not clear why you need the port names. It seems you first use libftdi
to wiggle some pin and than you open the port via windows to talk to the
device.

Why don't you use libftdi read/write() to talks to the device?
Or what else are your exact needs?

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdarmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------