libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: How do I discover port names (/dev/cu.usb… or COM…) from devices

From: Ryan Tennill <rtennill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:59:08 -0600

On 3/8/2018 7:48 PM, Robert Poor wrote:
[Disclaimer: I'm using the pylibftdi library as my sole access to the libftdi library, so pardon any translation errors...]

I'm running in an environment where there may be multiple FTDI devices plugged in.  And I'm running other code (a Modbus library) that needs to know the port names (i.e. /dev/cu.usbxxx on unix/osx or COMxx on Windows) for each FTDI device.

I'm using ftdi_usb_find_all() (via pylibftdi's Device.list_devices()) to get the list of serial numbers -- that works.  But I need to know the port names for each device.

Is there a call in libftdi that will produce the port name for a given serial number?

TIA.

- rdp

Pyserial can do this. http://pyserial.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tools.html

Not sure how well it works on osx/windows but I know it works on Linux.

Ryan