libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: cross-compiling libftdi-1.1 with MinGW under Linux (MXE)

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 20:42:14 +0800
On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM, Samuel Bryner <s.bryner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/12/2014 07:04 AM, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> I do not use MXE and I do not use cross-compile either. I build
>> libftdi natively under Windows. But I agree it is not that easy to build the
>> unit test program (using Boost Unit Test Framework).
>>
>> Did you build boost by yourself or using MXE or did you the the
>> Boost binary from somewhere from the Internet?
>
> I built boost using MXE so it should be the same as building
> it myself. MXE builds everything from scratch.

Yes I agree. I tried MXE under Mac OS X for a while but
later deleted it since I still prefer to build Windows
binary natively under Windows (and I can test them
immediately after the build). And I am not so sure
if you can really build the Windows Python bindings
under MXE.

Also I use Homebrew under Mac OS X and it
does not seem to support MXE very well.

>> The only way I can build the test program is to build
>> Boost by myself (under Windows using MinGW/MSys).
>> When I use some ready-made toolchain like the one
>> from http://nuwen.net/mingw.html
>> I have similar problem like you when building the test program.
>
> If this is a common problem, how about adding a cmake switch? Something
> like -DBUILD_TESTS=OFF?

I am not so sure you can call it a common problem, so far
I do not see many people building the whole libftdi Windows
thingy (except me), most of the people only need the
C library and they are fine.

But still I think it is good to add the CMake switch now
at least you and I have this problem.

--
Xiaofan