libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Proper include path for ftdi.h

From: Chris Morgan <chmorgan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 20:32:23 -0400
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Thomas Jarosch
<thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> so, let's take a look at the include directories:
>
> The generated pkgconfig file "libftdi1.pc" explicitly sets
> "/usr/include/libftdi1" as include path.
>
> The same is true for "libftdi1-config --cflags".
>

> The idea was that libftdi 1.x is a drop-in replacement for libftdi 0.x.
> Except for some very minor API modifications, it works out of the box.
>
> So I think to just include "ftdi.h" instead of "libftdi1/ftdi.h"
> is a sane thing to do.
>
> If the application developer really wants to force a specific
> libftdi major version, he's still free to include the prefix.
> Though I guess this will only work correctly if libftdi
> is installed in a location that's already in the include path
> (like /usr/include).
>
> My recommendation is to use "ftdi.h", but I won't force
> my opinion on anyone in this case :)
>
> HTH,
> Thomas

Alright. I'll just presume that the include path had the directory
prefix because libmpsse wasn't searching for libftdi with pkg-config
or the cmake find_package().

Anyone here know the author of libmpsse? I've had a tough time getting
ahold of him and I've forked on github to speed things up. I hope to
have it converted to cmake in the next week or two.

Chris