libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Proper include path for ftdi.h

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:46:27 +0100
Hi Chris,

so, let's take a look at the include directories:

The generated pkgconfig file "libftdi1.pc" explicitly sets
"/usr/include/libftdi1" as include path.

The same is true for "libftdi1-config --cflags".

The idea was that libftdi 1.x is a drop-in replacement for libftdi 0.x.
Except for some very minor API modifications, it works out of the box.

So I think to just include "ftdi.h" instead of "libftdi1/ftdi.h"
is a sane thing to do.

If the application developer really wants to force a specific
libftdi major version, he's still free to include the prefix.
Though I guess this will only work correctly if libftdi
is installed in a location that's already in the include path
(like /usr/include).

My recommendation is to use "ftdi.h", but I won't force
my opinion on anyone in this case :)

HTH,