libftdi Archives

Subject: Streaming byte transfers

From: Rick Walker <walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 18:38:12 -0700
Hi,

Some time ago I tried to make a synchronous output byte stream with an
FT245R.  Try as I might all I got were stuttering bursts of data that
weren't continuous.

I was hoping that the FT245R would behave like a sound card and properly
flow control and back-pressure my application program to output a
continuous stream of bytes.

The application is to control stepper motors in a coordinated fashion,
so it is important that once the flow starts that the byte stream not
glitch until the stream finishes and the FIFO runs out.

Well, that was a few years ago and I recall that the stuttering
was a known problem with the FT245R.

Does anyone have any advice for me?  I need something like 1Mbyte/sec
transfer rate.  Do any of the newer FTDI chips work in a "sound card"
fashion, or do I need to add something like an FPGA to unpack the FIFO
and rebuffer it?

Is there any open source circuits/software that I could use as a
template to use?

Thanks for any help!
--
Rick Walker