libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Re: libftdi1-1.0 and MSVC

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:35:56 +0800
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Thomas Jarosch
<thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Xiaofan,
>
> On Wednesday, 20. February 2013 16:27:11 Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> Even then, we need to have an ftdi.h file which is compatible
>> with MSVC, right now it is not due to the use of
>> <sys/time.h> and things like the following.
>
> my personal desire for MSVC compatibility is close to zero :o)
> I'm open for well tested patches though.

I see. My level of competency on MSVC is also very low.
So I will just keep this in mind.

> Just wondering: What would be gain by MSVC compatibility?

Probably because that MSVC is the most popular
compiler for Windows since it is officially from
Microsoft.

FYI: libusbx (or libusb-1.0) supports MSVC, MinGW and
Cygwin under Windows. It provides Windows binaries for
MSVC and MinGW as well in the release. The reason there
is also because MSVC is the most popular compiler
under Windows. So it makes sense to support
MSVC for a library like libusbx.

There is another way to let MSVC users using
libftdi1.dll though.

Eg: in libusb-win32, we have a libusb_dyn.c to let other
compilers using libusb0.dll.
http://sourceforge.net/p/libusb-win32/code/413/tree/branches/libusb-testing/src/libusb_dyn.c

It does not need a full usb.h, just some minimum
headers. So I will try to create a libftdi1_dyn.c to
see if I can then use libftdi1.dll in MSVC.

In the case of libftdi-0.x legacy, it seems to be easier
to build for MSVC.
Ref: http://developer.intra2net.com/mailarchive/html/libftdi/2012/msg00314.html

--
Xiaofan