libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: libftdi install on win 7 64-bit?

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:41:46 +0800
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Hjalmar Turesson <hturesson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In which folder should I put the libftdi.dll for it to be available to, for
> example, pylibftdi? The os is windows 7, 64-bit.
>
> * I have installed libusb and it works.
> * From the windows command prompt (cmd), I ran some of
> the test programs in
> /libftdi_0.19_devkit_MinGW64_20August2011/bin/bin64/
> and it seems to work.

Take note the latest release version of libftdi 0.x is 0.20.
I've put the Windows binary download here.
http://code.google.com/p/picusb/downloads/detail?name=libftdi_0.20_devkit_mingw32_08April2012.zip

> * I tried to copy the libftdi.dll from the bin64/ directory to
> C:/Windows/System32/ but I get the following error:
> The module "libftdi.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer
> was not found.
> Make sure that "libftdi.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.
>
> How should I do to make libftdi accessible system wide?

That directory is for 64bit dll. You need to put the dll in
C:/Windows/SysWow64/

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

> PS. I put libftdi on the Python PATH and this works. But,
> since I'm new to windows, I don't know if this is the general
> way to "install" DLLs.

So you are using 32bit Python under 64bit Windows, in
that case, this is one way to get Python to work with
libftdi dll. The other way is to put it to the syswow64 directory
and in that case, it is usable by all 32bit applications.

--
Xiaofan