libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: First byte of LT245R eeprom

From: Karl Cunningham <karlc@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 14:31:20 -0800
On 02/01/2013 06:22 AM, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
     Anders> When experimenting with an FT245R I found that bit 0 is the
     Anders> culprit - when cleared, an FT245R is turned into an FT232R (or
     Anders> so it seems).  If you turn the bit back on, the functionality of
     Anders> the FT245R is restored.

     Anders> Unfortunately, there is no way (that I know of) to detect if a
     Anders> chip is really an FT232R or an FT245R other than checking bit 0
     Anders> of byte 0.

So libftdi has to carefully preserve bit 0 and should provide a user
override to change that value. The override is needed, when something went
wrong before.

I think this would be a good addition.

I tested with MProg to check the byte 0 bit mapping. By the way, MProg works well in an XP virtual machine under Linux.

FT245R eeprom bits 2 & 3 of byte 0 are as follows:
bit 2 -- High-current I/O
bit 3 -- Load D2XX driver (VCP)

MProg refused to change the part to a FT232R so I couldn't test bit 0 with it. I didn't find any way in MProg to change the other bits.

Karl