libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Reading Pins with Python

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 10:01:57 +0800
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Jim Paris <jim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Python bindings are kind of a mess.  The ftdi.ftdi_read_data and
> ftdi.ftdi_read_pins functions are basically unusable in the current
> 0.20 bindings, which is what's available as the "python-ftdi" package
> on Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> It seems [1] that Michel Zou has done some work to fix things in the
> unreleased 1.x branch.  Unfortunately those patches also remove the
> ftdi_* prefix from all functions, so even the parts that _did_ work on
> 0.20 are no longer compatible.

There are other alternative solutions though if we are not limited to
use the built-in python bindings of libftdi.

For example:
1) pyftdi, based on pyusb and not libftdi
https://github.com/eblot/pyftdi

2) pylibftdi, based on libftdi
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pylibftdi
https://bitbucket.org/codedstructure/pylibftdi

There are also other solutions based on ftd2xx.

--
Xiaofan