libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: FT2232H bitbang mode: 32 bit bitbang?

From: Uwe Bonnes <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:25:03 +0100

    Rogier> Hi,

    Rogier> I have an FT2232H and I would like to bitbang all 32 bits. Is
    Rogier> this possible?

You mean bitbang Port A and B synchronous?
Thats impossible to my knowledge.

    Rogier> The datasheet seems to suggest that in "async bitbang" mode the
    Rogier> high byte still does strobe thingies.

    Rogier> But in another mode (MPSSE) the high byte becomes "GPIO", so the
    Rogier> chip more or less is able to do this, but then officially the
    Rogier> lowest few bits become the MPSSE interface.

But it's only 16 bit wide. You can set and reset all bits in some way
somehow, but with no strict timing sequence.

    Rogier> Then the second question is: can I do this with libftdi?

No. Rethink your problem and try to map it on the available modes. Perhaps
an FPGA can talk to the FTDI on one side and to your device on the other
side.

Or use an USB microcontroller.

Bye
--