libftdi Archives

Subject: Programming an FT245RL

From: Karl Cunningham <karlc@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:16:11 -0700
We have an older Mint (Ubuntu) system which works fine to program FT245R chips, using ftdi_eeprom 0.3 and libftdi 0.15. This uses the 2.6.27 kernel.

We're bringing up a new system with Ubuntu 10.04, kernel 2.6.32. We
downloaded a fresh ftdi_eeprom v0.3 and libftdi 0.19, but we're having a hard time getting this to work.

We compiled and installed libftdi-0.19.

Compiling ftdi_eeprom, the compiler gives an error:
ftdi_eeprom-0.3/src/main.c:112: error: ‘struct ftdi_eeprom’ has no member named ‘BM_type_chip’ Commenting out line 112 lets it compile ok (but may not be the right thing to do). After programming a chip with this we get a MaxPacketSize of zero for the IN endpoint.

lsusb -v
[snip]
Endpoint Descriptor:
  bLength                 7
  bDescriptorType         5
  bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
  bmAttributes            2
    Transfer Type            Bulk
    Synch Type               None
    Usage Type               Data
  wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes

I get the feeling there is something fundamental we're doing wrong here.

Thanks for any help.

Karl Cunningham