libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: libusb device search problem

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 07:16:16 +0800
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Robert Hubley
<rhubley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Heads up.  While tracking down a problem with libftdi not seeing my clearly
> attached USB device.  I found a potential problem with the way libusb
> searches for USB devices under the linux OS.  It uses a priority search
> starting with an environment variable followed by the /dev/bus/usb hierarchy
> and then the /proc/bus/usb hierarchy.  On my particular Debian system it
> looks like /dev/bus/usb is only partially populated with devices ( perhaps
> the ones supported by kernel drivers??? ), while /proc/bus/usb contains a
> dynamic list of all the devices.  I solved the problem by reversing the
> order of this search ( /proc/bus/usb first ).  Not a problem with libftdi
> per se...but I wanted to put this up somewhere in case anyone else was
> banging their heads over this.

I guess you are using libftdi-0.1x and libusb-0.1 under Debian.
Just take note libusb-0.1 is not maintained any more and
all the tickers submitted got a "wontfix" solution.
http://www.libusb.org/report/9

And /proc/bus/usb is not available for most of the modern
distros.

And the proper fix is try to figure out why the  /dev/bus/usb is
only partially populated in your particular distro.

--
Xiaofan