libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Compiling libftdi-1.0 within MinGW under Windows

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:31:53 +0800
On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Viswanathan Sankararam
> <nslu2vishu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I see that you can compile libftdi-1.0 under a linux with cross mingw
>> environment. Is it possible to compile for windows using mingw under windows
>> itself within msys shell? I tried this within command prompt under WinXP 32
>> bit using command line "cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles"
>> -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=..\Toolchain-Crossbuild32.cmake .."
>
> I have not succeeded in building libftdi-1.0 under Windows myself.
>
> Cross-building under Linux is much easier.

Pete Batatd (developer of libusb-1.0 Windows backend) has found
a way to build libftdi-1.0 under Windows using MinGW and CMake.
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/Win-libusb-1-0-snapshots-no-longer-work-with-cross-compiling-of-libftdi-1-0-td2262878i20.html#a2473199

The key is to use "cmake -i" to set up all the parameters
which are corresponding to your setup and disable problematic
parts.

I am having some problems with his libusb-1.0 binary snapshots
for the MinGW-w64 64bit build. But you can build libusb-1.0
Windows backend with MinGW-w64 pretty easily. In that
case, I can build 32bit and 64bit of libftdi-1.0 (the dll,
the import library and the examples) under Windows.

--
Xiaofan