libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Remainder: RFC: Add One-Wire primitives via MPSSE

From: Uwe Bonnes <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:28:47 +0200

    Thomas> Hello Uwe, On Tuesday, 13. July 2010 18:07:47 Uwe Bonnes wrote:
    >> on June 25 I send out and RFC and patch for One-Wire primitives.  Has
    >> nobody any opinion?

    Thomas> Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I've looked at the
    Thomas> patch and I think this could be separated from the core libftdi
    Thomas> code.  From what I've seen it uses "high level" libftdi calls
    Thomas> only.

    Thomas> Would it make sense to move special MPSSE mode code into a
    Thomas> separate library (distributed with libftdi)?

I feel it is not that much code to to validate a extra library. Maybe if I
add my JTAG code from xc3sprog...

    Thomas> Or maybe we start by adding it as an example program and put a
    Thomas> banner on the top of the file "if you use this code, please
    Thomas> mention it on the mailinglist". Later on we still can promote it
    Thomas> to an standalone library distributed with libftdi.

That sounds resonable. I will send a patch, but probably not that soon...

    Thomas> btw: Do you know how the official API handles the one-wire
    Thomas> interface?

Perhaps
http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibutton/software/1wire/wirekit.cfm
is something "official", or
www.owfs.org
but they are much more complex and address other aspects.

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx