libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: RFC: Remove autoconf support in libftdi-1.x

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:56:29 +0800
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Thomas Jarosch
<thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> we've supported the autoconf and cmake build system
> since quite a while now in parallel.
>
> My current plan is to drop autoconf support
> in libftdi-1.x for various reasons:
>
> - cmake syntax is easier to understand and maintain,
>  requires less code for common tasks
>
> - it's time consuming to keep two build
>  systems in good condition
>
> - cmake configures way faster than autoconf
>
> - two build systems are confusing to new users

Agree with all the above.

> Objections?

The only thing is how to build libftdi-1.0 under Windows,
with either Cygwin or MinGW using CMake. I have not
figured out how to do that myself.

Cross-compiling under Linux works perfectly using
MinGW (32bit MinGW or 64bit MinGW-w64). Since
I use both Linux and Windows, this is okay for me.
But I think some libftdi-1.0 users may not use
Linux.

So I do not really have an objection. I am not a fan of
auto-tools myself. But rather I hope the CMake experts
here can provide an instruction on Cygwin/MinGW under
Windows.

Take note that libusb-1.0 Windows backend can
be built under Cygwin, MinGW, MinGW-w64
(with WPG System 64) under Windows relatively
easy. It is using auto-tools.

--
Xiaofan http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/