libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Update my libftdi patch for libusb-1.0

From: "Gerd v. Egidy" <gerd.von.egidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Jie Zhang <jzhang918@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:38:40 +0100
Hi Jie,

> I updated the following patch
>
> http://developer.intra2net.com/mailarchive/html/libftdi/2009/msg00254.html
>
> to the current HEAD of libftdi git tree.

thank you very much for updating this.

> It still only supports
> libusb-1.0. But we have libusb-1.0 for Windows XP and later now...

I have just seen Petes work on that. Very good to know that things are moving
forward on that front now.

But I think we should still not rush the move to libusb-1.0 as that would cut
off some people from new developments and fixes of libftdi. There are still
some things for the H-chips to be done, e.g. the higher baudrates. So the
question is how we can make the transition as smooth as possible.

Two ideas come to my mind:

a) implement a glue layer between libftdi and libusb which allows to use
either libusb-0.1 (sync only) or libusb-1.0 (sync and async). The downside is
that this is a lot of work and some additional overhead.

b) divide libftdi development in two branches, new stuff is done based on
libusb-1.0. We can still backport new features to the current branch.

When we want to take the road to b) I think the best way to start would be to
create a git branch to make the code more easy to access and improve.

Jie, I can offer you a separate git repository on our server to develop this
further and give it a wider audience. I you are interested, contact me
privately.

> I know you also have a modified version of libftdi. But I don't know
> which one is better. Could you take a look?

I have seen Pete posted his code to libusb-devel, but haven't taken a look at
it yet. Maybe there are some good ideas worth picking up from.

> Btw, it seems it's hard to extract a patch from libftdi mailing list
> archive if it has already been inlined, since it only provides html
> page. If it could provide an original email page, it will be much
> better.

I prefer to have the important stuff in a git repo. Thats much more easy to
work with.

Kind regards,

Gerd