libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Dropping byte 62+63 on SPI reads?

From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
To: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jeremy Buseman <naviathan@xxxxxxxxx>, Uwe Hermann <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:32:50 +0100
Hi Thomas,

some of these questions are probably better answered by Jeremy.

On 24.11.2009 15:52, Thomas Jarosch wrote:
> which libftdi version do you use?

I use latest git, but I don't have hardware to test right now.

> The new high speed devices send the modem status byte
> every 256 bytes. The current official libftdi version
> thinks it's still at the 64 byte boundary.

Oops. Is there some version/whatever check I can run from flashrom and
degrade to transactions <=62 bytes for older libftdi versions? Silent
data corruption at runtime is really nasty, especially if the user
wasn't warned.

> Might be worth a try to use the latest libftdi from git
> + the patch you can find in the "Patches applied" thread.
>
> Also it might be a good idea to add debug code to the modem status byte
> filter code in ftdi_read_data(), maybe it filters out valid data??

That's possible. Your modem status byte issue description fits the bug
pretty well, so I think the additional debug code may not be required.

Jeremy, would you be willing to test some flashrom patches (pure read,
no write)?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
Developer quote of the month:
"We are juggling too many chainsaws and flaming arrows and tigers."