ipt_ACCOUNT Archives

Subject: Re: Netfilter control remove

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ipt_ACCOUNT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:10:42 +0200
Hello Dishko,

On Thursday, 30. July 2009 15:23:40 Dishko Georgiev wrote:
> I'm using ACCOUNT module for quite alot of time, but i have one
> suggeston: remove iptaccount program and make access to kernel module
> data via procfs. I'm asking for this becouse its going to allow compiling
> kernel module w/o need of recompiling entire kernel. Some times i have to
> change kernel quite often and rebuilding entire kernel just becouse of 1
> kernel module ... is not what i thing as good idea. All options (format
> and such) could be configured via sysctrl, so basicly iptaccount program
> and netfilter control interface is useless.

Thanks for your suggestion!

How often do you collect your data? The current approach was chosen over
procfs back in 2005 as we collect our statistics data every second
and performance was the main concern.

Maybe we could add an additional procfs interface, which could be used
optionally. Though we don't have any need for that in our use case,
so I don't think we'll do the work :o)

Have you tried the other accounting module "ipt_account",
which is procfs based?

ipt_ACCOUNT - see http://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/ipt_ACCOUNT for details.