libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Compile error on MinGW

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 09:55:56 +0800
On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 3:48 AM <drfiemost@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when compiling against libftdi (version 1.5) on MinGW I get this error:
>
> C:/msys64/mingw64/include/libftdi1/ftdi.h:481:20: error: field 'time' has
> incomplete type
>   481 |     struct timeval time;
>       |                    ^~~~
>
> Found out that this happens because I use WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
> which prevents the definition of struct timeval.
> I can workaround this problem but think that it should be handled in the
> ftdi.h header,
> either undefining WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN before windows.h is included or by
> explicitly including Winsock2.h.
> What do you think?

Just wondering which MinGW version you are using?  I had no problem building
libftdi under MSYS2 distribution of MinGW-w64 (32/64bit).

Ref:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/picusb/files/

If you use MinGW.org (32bit only), take note it may not work well. In fact
at libusb project we no longer support MinGW.org unless someone is
willing to submit patches.

Ref: libusb and MinGW -- MinGW-w64 recommended
https://github.com/libusb/libusb/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+mingw

--
Xiaofan