libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: How do I discover port names (/dev/cu.usb… or COM…) from devices

From: Robert Poor <rdpoor@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 16:39:58 -0800
Uwe Bonnes writes:
> you can use libftdi for all the application? I don't see why you shop for
> another tool.

Using libftdi s really my preferred approach at this moment, as long as I can continue to use the FT232R in both serial and bitbang mode.  And the pylibftdi documents certainly make it appear this is possible:

The truth is that I'm still trying to figure out how to install libftdi (I *did* mention that I'm not conversant in Windows-speak).  So that's where I'm focusing my efforts at the moment.

- RDP

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 1:58 PM, Uwe Bonnes <u.bonnes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert Poor writes:
 > After glancing at usbdk (and its requirement for Visual Studio and other
 > compilation tools), it occurs to me that there's another approach: Use Python's
 > ctypes to write a bespoke interface to the FTDI API.  For example, see:
 >
 >    https://stackoverflow.com/a/1942472/558639
 >
 > (which happens to be about writing an interface to an FTDI device...)

Hello Robert,

you can use libftdi for all the application? I don't see why you shop for
another tool.

Bye

--
Uwe Bonnes                bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdarmstadt.de