libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: c++ wraper: open(vid,pid) fails for devices with a missing iManufacturer, iProduct or iSerial

From: Matthias Janke <matthias.janke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 00:53:12 +0200
Hi Thomas,

Am Tue, 23 May 2017 21:26:23 +0200
schrieb Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> Am 12.05.2017 um 13:32 schrieb Matthias Janke:
> >   I'm using the c++ wrapper of libftdi (git co of yesterday) to
> >   communicate with a FT2232HL on a Lattice XO2 Eval board
> >   (LCMXO2-7000HE-B-EVN) this board has no programmed in iSerial.
> >
> >   A simple c++ program which just opens and closes the device fails
> > with "libusb_get_string_descriptor_ascii() failed" this is also
> > true for the find_all_pp example (find_all, works). This failure
> > originates in the use of the get_strings() function inside all c++
> > open() functions. This function wants all three iManufractuer,
> > iProduct and iSerial to be present. The C-API allows one to pass
> > NULL to ignore these descriptors. This is currently not possible
> > with the c++ api. To properly fix this I suspect an api break is
> > needed. As temporary ugly workaround I use the appended patch. Are
> > there other ideas to fix this?
>
> what about this open() function from ftdi.cpp:
>
> int Context::open(int vendor, int product, const std::string&
> description, const std::string& serial, unsigned int index)
> {
>     // translate empty strings to NULL
>     // -> do not use them to find the device (vs. require an empty
> string to be set in the EEPROM)
>     const char* c_description=NULL;
>     const char* c_serial=NULL;
>     if (!description.empty())
>         c_description=description.c_str();
>     if (!serial.empty())
>         c_serial=serial.c_str();
>
>     int ret = ftdi_usb_open_desc_index(d->ftdi, vendor, product,
> c_description, c_serial, index);
>
>     if (ret < 0)
>        return ret;

up to this point everything looks ok. but
this:
>     return get_strings_and_reopen();

innternaly calls get_strings() which unconditioaly tries to get all!
strings:

int Context::get_strings()
 323 {
 324     // Prepare buffers
 325     char vendor[512], desc[512], serial[512];
 326
 327     int ret = ftdi_usb_get_strings(d->ftdi, d->dev, vendor, 512,
desc, 512, serial, 512); 328
 329     if (ret < 0)
 330         return -1;
 331