libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: read buffer question

From: "E.S. Rosenberg" <es.rosenberg+libftdi.i2net@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 00:05:51 +0300

Am 19.05.2016 um 01:34 schrieb Phillip Vallejo:
> Is there a way to read how many bytes are sitting in the FTDI read
> buffer without actually reading the bytes out? A read buffer count?
>
> I see the protected member FTDI_Context.readbuffer_remaining but that
> value is only valid after the first byte has been read, ie, ‘remaining’.

as far as I know there's no USB command the read out how many
bytes are still in the internal buffer of the chip.

The D2XX library uses a background thread to constantly read
all available data into a memory buffer on the host. That's
the reason it can tell you how many bytes are in the buffer ;)
At least that's my current knowledge about it.
OT: Has this thread ever been implemented with libftdi? Is this how the kernel driver works?
I remember that I was unable to get a proper read of DMX (RDM, phy RS485) data through libfti when I was expanding the OpenLIghtingArchitecture libftdi driver a year or so ago, am hoping to have another crack at it somewhere in the not to far away future...

Regards,
Eli