libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Patch to ftdi_eeprom for generating checksum

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 23:12:08 +0100
Hi Andy,

Am 11.01.2016 um 23:52 schrieb linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> I recently had an issue with a bad eeprom in an FT232H module and needed
> to hand craft an eeprom image from a mix of a generated image and the
> one which shipped with the board.  I don't have a windows system to use
> the FTDI utility.
>
> I modified ftdi_eeprom to be able to generate the checksum when using
> the flash_raw option - attached is the patch (against head) if you are
> interested.
>
> The full details of the issue can be found here:
> https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64489

thanks for the patch and sorry for taking so long to reply.

The patch has a few areas where it needs improvement:

- the checksumming code is duplicated from ftdi.c.
  It's better to create a shared, private function.

- support for FT_203X is missing as it has special
  needs for the checksumming.

- the patch uses tabs instead of spaces like
  the rest of libftdi.

Out of curiosity: Why did you need to fix up
an existing (raw) eeprom? Couldn't you just re-create
the faulty eeprom from a config file?