libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: (Re:) libftdi only works if /dev/ttyUSBx is accessed by other method first

From: Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 19:34:31 +0100
Hi,

Occasional reader, here...

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 03:29:50PM +0100, Johan Ström wrote:
> c) Would it make sense for libftdi to set rts/dts defaults to 1, as
> both Linux and FreeBSD seems to do this (when opening as a regular
> serial port)? Although, devices may use RTS/DTR for any purpose, it
> might be best to leave it alone..?

The setting of CTS/RTS is "standard" when opening a serial port. The
default for those signals is "inactive": "please don't send anything,
there is (probably) nobody listening".

Once you open the port, the signal should go active: "we're listening,
go ahead, send data.".

However, for "other-than-standard-serial-port" devices, where you'd
want a libftdi driver, the signal might be used for completely
different purposes. Say: "Detonate the bomb".

So a default in libftdi to set the signal might not be a good idea.

If you need it, the "set the signal" belongs in the layer that uses
libftdi. "libow" or whatever it is called in your case.

        Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **