libftdi Archives

Subject: Problems with some of the examples

From: Ian Carr-de Avelon <carrdeavelon@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 22:05:03 +0100
I work in a school which has some DMX lights and an AVT DMX511 USB interface:
http://sklep.avt.pl/konwerter-usb-dmx512.html
I'm trying to figure out a way to make a Python module so pupils can write programs to control the lights for discos and theatre productions and possibly also as a strobe for Physics lessons.
So far I've downloaded libftdi1-1.2 on ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a HP laptop and some of the examples work and some don't.
ian@HP-620:~/BISC/computing/lighting/libftdi1-1.2/build/examples$ sudo ./find_all
Number of FTDI devices found: 1
Checking device: 0
Manufacturer: FTDI, Description: FT232R USB UART

ian@HP-620:~/BISC/computing/lighting/libftdi1-1.2/build/examples$ sudo ./simple Initialized libftdi 1.2 (major: 1, minor: 2, micro: 0, snapshot ver: unknown)
ftdi_read_chipid: 0
FTDI chipid: 67194FCD
ian@HP-620:~/BISC/computing/lighting/libftdi1-1.2/build/examples$ sudo ./serial_test
unable to open ftdi device: -3 (device not found)
ian@HP-620:~/BISC/computing/lighting/libftdi1-1.2/build/examples$ sudo ./stream_test
Can't open ftdi device: device not found
ian@HP-620:~/BISC/computing/lighting/libftdi1-1.2/build/examples$ sudo ./baud_test
real baudrate used: 9600
this test should take 10.42 seconds
and took 41.0899 seconds, this is 2434 baud or factor 0.254

Do you have any ideas where I should start looking to solve these problems? I notice that there is a python directory in the source. Does this mean that some kind of wrapper already exists?
Yours
Ian