libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Win8 and Multiple interfaces

From: Steve Soloski <ssoloski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 22:26:35 -0400
On 5/31/2014 8:05 PM, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 4:02 AM, Steve Soloski <ssoloski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After some more investigation, it appears that I'm running into this issue:

http://sourceforge.net/p/libusbx/mailman/libusbx-devel/thread/52445AA6.2080908@xxxxxxxxx/

The important part of that thread is:

I think that, by issuing multiple open from within multiple threads, you
may be hitting the "WinUSB does not support multiple concurrent
applications" limitation [2] (as I doubt MS will make much distinction
between a open from a thread and open from a process).

Which pretty much describes what I'm trying to do - open Interface B to
issue control commands to my device, then fire up a thread and open
Interface A to capture images. It "Just Works" under Linux, but not under
Windows... silly me for thinking it would!  So I'm now trying to see how
painful it will be to share the same device handle, rather than just doing
two ftdi opens.

If this is the case, try not to use WinUSB, you can use libusbk.sys
(you will need libusbK.dll) which does not have this limitation.

That's great news... I would rather use a different driver than have to muck with the code.

Now I just need to figure out why libusbK is acting strange for me... I'll do more testing on Monday.

Steve