libftdi Archives

Subject: Announcing libusb-1.0.18 (as well as libusbx-1.0.18 *FINAL*)

From: Pete Batard <pete@xxxxxxx>
To: "libusb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <libusb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "libusbx-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <libusbx-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, openocd-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 01:09:49 +0000
Hi,

It is my great pleasure to announce the release of libusb 1.0.18 (as well as the simultaneous final release of libusbx 1.0.18), which marks the long awaited merging back of libusbx with libusb!

With this release, we are finally consolidating the two projects back into one, and bringing the many bug fixes and new features of libusbx, into libusb, for the benefit of all.

For all programming purposes, you should consider that these simultaneous 1.0.18 releases are essentially the same. The only difference between them is that a bunch of strings, which bear no impact on either the compilation or the API (95% of them being in comments) say "libusbx" on one side and "libusb" on the other. Outside of that the code is identical and the name of the header, library and API function calls, which were already the same to begin with, are still identical in both libraries, with the libraries themselves still being interchangeable.

We therefore strongly encourage you to move to using libusb 1.0.18 in your project(s) as soon as possible, especially as all future libusb related development will occur from the single libusb project.

You can find the libusb 1.0.18 release tarball at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb/files/libusb-1.0/libusb-1.0.18/

With regards to the changes pertaining to this release, because the list would be too long to copy/paste, as there hasn't been any official libusb release since version 1.0.9, you can obtain the full ChangeLog by going to: http://log.libusb.info

With this release however, we had to make some adjustments to our URLs (mostly because the person in charge of the original domain wasn't interested in helping the project move forward), so please take note of the following:

* IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING LIBUSB USER:
  - The SourceForge project remains at
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb/
  - The mailing list remains at
      libusbx-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  - The API documentation remains at:
      http://libusb.sourceforge.net/api-1.0/
  - The git repository changes from
      git://git.libusb.org/libusb.git to
      git://github.com/libusb/libusb.git
  - The Homepage changes from
      http://libusb.org to
      http://libusb.info
  - The Wiki and issue tracker are change to github at
      https://github.com/libusb/libusb

* IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING LIBUSBX USER:
  - The SourceForge project changes from
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusbx/ to
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb/
  - The mailing list changes from
      libusbx-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to
      libusb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  - The API documentation changes from at:
      http://libusbx.sourceforge.net/api-1.0/ to
      http://libusb.sourceforge.net/api-1.0/
  - The git repository changes from
      git://github.com/libusbx/libusbx.git to
      git://github.com/libusb/libusb.git
  - The Homepage changes from
      http://libusbx.org to
      http://libusb.info
  - The github project (Wiki, issue tracker, etc.) changes from
      https://github.com/libusbx/libusbx to
      https://github.com/libusb/libusb

Please make sure you update your tracking of the project as required.

Obviously, we would have preferred avoiding the domain change (but we would still have moved the git repository, issue tracker and Wiki to github, as it's more convenient) and while we understand that moving from .org to .info may create some temporary confusion, we hope that, as everyone starts to reference http://libusb.info as the new home of the libusb project, this confusion will be as short lived as possible.

You are invited to visit http://libusb.info, which contains all the links that are mentioned above, as well as additional information.

Thank you,

/Pete