libftdi Archives

Subject: RE: Nested cmake?

From: xantares 09 <xantares09@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:29:52 +0000

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:09:42 -0400
From: chmorgan@xxxxxxxxx
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Friday, September 13, 2013, xantares 09 wrote:

> From: chmorgan@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:29:16 -0400
> Subject: Re: Nested cmake?
> To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM, xantares 09 <xantares09@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >> From: chmorgan@xxxxxxxxx
> >> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 08:33:14 -0400
> >
> >> Subject: Re: Nested cmake?
> >> To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x.

We could. I'd have to make one for each of the couple of platforms we build on and then figure out how/where to version the package creation scripts. Then I'd have to build for each architecture we might run on, arm, x86 32 bit, x86 64 bit. That seemed more difficult.

I'd also like it to be automatic for the other developers and not contaminate their system so installing to usr/local.

It seems like using the library in the build output directory has less side effects and no impact on the system in general.

It seems like a tricky issue to me. What if we have a dozen external libraries? It's almost like we want to set up a parallel usr/, usr/lib/, usr/bin/ etc in the build output directory and install everything there, like at /reporoot/build/root/usr/ for instance.

Chris

I'd definitively go for packages, binary packages or at least packages sources you can use already exist for debian, rpm, arch, ...
That's the most clean way, no contamination, automatically installed / upgraded, no extra build time, ...

x.