libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Using libftdi with ftdi4232 chip

From: Ryan Tennill <rtennill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:25:24 -0600
On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 22:10 +0200, Ori Idan wrote:
Hello,
I would like to use libftdi to interface to several ftdi4232 chips connected to the same computer.
I have already used it for simple i2c protocol implementation (https://github.com/OriIdan/ftdi-i2c)

Now I need to connect many i2c busses and I wonder, is there a limit to number of devices connected to libftdi?

--
Ori Idan

Ori,

We have connected to but not fully tested 60 devices on a single computer using libFTDI. One thing to note is that our computer did not like booting with so many devices attached even when they were buss powered. We are using a pair of relays to power up the devices after boot up is complete. Our system is Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit with a dual core Atom processor.

Ryan