libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: [FT232RL] Program to control potentiometer

From: Pelle Windestam <pelle@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Garrido Xavier <garrido@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:45:50 +0100
On 11/19/2012 11:21 AM, Garrido Xavier wrote:
Dear libftiusers,

We recently buy this device
http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/UPOT8PROXR which has poor
documentation and all piece of software are done for Windows. Since we
would like to control via Ubuntu machines, I then came accros your library.

First, I have used the |simple.c| program to test USB communication
(everything got fine) and then, following the programs given in
|libftdi| examples directory, I made this piece of code

|#include<stdio.h>
#include<unistd.h>
#include<ftdi.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
   struct ftdi_context ftdic;
   int f, i;
   unsigned char buf[3];

   if (ftdi_init(&ftdic)<  0)
     {
       fprintf(stderr,"ftdi_init failed\n");
       return EXIT_FAILURE;
     }

   f = ftdi_usb_open(&ftdic,0x0403,0x6001);

   if (f<  0  &&  f != -5)
     {
       fprintf(stderr,"unable to open ftdi device: %d (%s)\n", f,
ftdi_get_error_string(&ftdic));
       return EXIT_FAILURE;
     }

   printf("ftdi open succeeded: %d\n",f);
   ftdi_set_bitmode(&ftdic,0xFF, BITMODE_RESET);
   ftdi_set_baudrate(&ftdic,9600);
   ftdi_write_data_set_chunksize(&ftdic,3);

   printf("turning every potentiometer on\n");

   buf[0] =0xFE;
   buf[1] =0xAB;
   buf[2] =128;

   while (1)
     {
       f = ftdi_write_data(&ftdic,buf,3);
       if (f<  0)
         {
           fprintf(stderr,"write failed for 0x%x, error %d (%s)\n",buf[2],f,
ftdi_get_error_string(&ftdic));
         }
     }

   f = ftdi_usb_close(&ftdic);
   if (f<  0)
     {
       fprintf(stderr,"unable to close ftdi device: %d (%s)\n", f,
ftdi_get_error_string(&ftdic));
       return EXIT_FAILURE;
     }
   ftdi_deinit(&ftdic);
}|

I do not get any errors but when measuring the electrical resistance
with a ohmmeter, I do not get any change. Help will be greatly
appreciated, so thanks in advance for any kind of advices/comments.

Xavier Garrido

I had a quick glance at your code, and I noticed that the baud rate you are setting (9600) differs from the specifications of your device (115200).

//Pelle